According to a recent study by the British Council, gender equality still exists worldwide. To be honest this is something that most people notice – if paying attention with a critical eye – as we walk through life every single day.
Gender inequality exists worldwide, as summarised in the British Council report:
- In politics, where only 23% of members of parliament are women;
- In work, where 50% of women compared to 75% of men are in formal work;
- In pay, where on average women earn 24% less than men;
- In entrepreneurship, where there are only 10 countries where as many women as men start their own businesses; and
- In society, where 1 in 3 women experience sex or gender based violence.
Continue reading “International Women’s Day – celebrating initiatives around the world to end gender inequality”
The 8th of March is International Women’s Day. It’s origins are in the early twentieth century. What will you be doing to celebrate and support women next Wednesday?
Will you be busy challenging bias and inequality in the workplace (for example speaking out against all-male panel discussions or leadership teams), or adding your support to a group that campaigns again violence, or celebrating the success of inspiring women leaders in your life? If you’re a woman, will you be taking some time out of your busy today to celebrate yourself, and appreciate the mothers, sisters, daughters around you?
Continue reading “#Be Bold For Change”