Updated: Jun 21, 2018
Introduction and general terms
When you contact Watipa to make a donation, register your interest in volunteering, join the network of Watipa consultant, apply for a job, sign up to online content, such as the newsletter, or engage with Watipa via social media channels, we may receive and retain personal information about you.
We do not normally request sensitive personal data such as information related to racial or ethnic origin, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, health information and political opinions.
If you enter your contact details in our online form, we may use this information to contact you.
The personal information that Watipa may collect includes:
- Name and job title
- Contact information including email address
- Demographic information such as country of residence
- Relevant bank or card details if making a donation so that the donation can be processed (see section below re donations and third party websites)
Watipa will let you know prior to collection whether the provision of personal information is compulsory or if it may be provided on a voluntary basis and the consequences, if any, of not providing the information.
User Access Request – the following information is to be provided upon request:
- What personal information pertaining to the user is being processed
- Why the information is being processed
- Who has access to this personal information about the user
- How this personal information is being used in automated decisions
- What processes are using this information
Use of Personal Information
We will only use your information for the purpose for which it was obtained. Watipa may use the personal information collection for a range of reasons, including:
- To share updates via the Newsletter
- Internal record keeping of
- scholarship applicants, including contact information, motivation for applying and responses to the application criteria
- scholarship recipients, including (in addition to their application materials) responses to the annual renewal process criteria
- graduates, including (in addition to their application and scholarship retention materials) responses to the alumni and graduation process information
- consultant and staff contact information, invoices and bank details
- To distribute, manage, and monitor scholarships
Watipa will obtain specific consent from our contacts and will clearly explain how we plan to use your personal data.
We have updated our newsletter distribution message to give subscribers the opportunity to opt-in by using checkboxes that when ticked serve as consent. Further, a section that explains how and why we use your data was added.
We will collect consent from new contacts:
- Through MailChimp, GDPR-friendly signup forms will be sent to the individual when they submit their email to receive Watipa’s newsletter.
Member Distribution Lists
Watipa uses e-Newsletters (through MailChimp) to share updates from scholars, give information about projects and to advertise job and consultancy opportunities.
The website contains hyperlinks to websites owned and operated by third parties. If you follow a hyperlink to a third party website, we urge you to review these policies before submitting any personal data to the third party website – these will govern the use of personal information you submit or which is collected by cookies whilst visiting these websites. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the privacy practices of third party websites and your use of such websites is at your own risk.
Retention of Data
We retain personal information where we have an ongoing legitimate business or legal need to do so and for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity.
Our retention periods will vary depending on the type of data involved, but, generally, we’ll refer to these criteria in order to determine retention period:
- Whether the data is necessary to provide our services
- Whether we have a legal or contractual need to retain the data
For Watipa Scholars, personal information will be kept on file for up to 5 years after the provision of the scholarship.
If a scholar agrees to take part in the Watipa Mentorship Program, which connects scholars with alumni and others, their personal information will be kept on file for up to 10 years.
Questions and Concerns
If you have any questions or concerns about the way in which we have handled your personal information, please contact our Data Protection Officer: Kristen de Graaf kristenldegraaf AT gmail.com.
You may opt out of receiving emails at any time. You also have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected.