Are you a young person, age 25 or younger, who is passionate about giving back to your community? Do you have the ambition to help develop your community or country?
Download a PDF Application Form 2017 so you can prepare your answers and supporting documents offline.
In September 2016, Watipa launched a new scholarship program to support young people achieve their dreams to give back to their community. In 2017, we are raising funds to sustain support to the inaugural Watipa scholars as well as extending the opportunity to some new and worthy applicants.
Our scholarship program will support young people with tuition fees and living expenses for a period of 1-3 years (depending on the needs of the scholars) as well as access to our pool of international mentors.
You can apply if you are:
- 15 – 25 years of age
- Living in a developing country, including but not limited to Malawi, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe, South Africa or Nepal
- Have secured a place to study, either at an institute of higher education or secondary school. We will consider applicants starting a new course as well as those part-way through.
- passionate about community development
The deadline for this second round of applications is midnight Saturday 4 November 2017. Late applications will not be accepted, and the 2018 applications will open again at the end of September 2018.
The scholarships do not fund postgraduate studies, or studies outside your home country.
The average Watipa scholarship awarded in 2016 was for £500 (range from £250 – £2,500) for tuition fees. Additional support for living expenses of £240 was awarded to applicants who were in secondary school students, who are living with a disability, and/or who are young mothers. Highly commended encouragement awards were given as a one off award of £240 each.
How to apply for a Watipa scholarship in 2017? Complete the online application form.
What supporting documents will you need?
- A letter of reference from a teacher or lecturer
- A letter of support from your parents or a family member
- A CV, that includes your contact information as well as details of your study, work and volunteer experience (maximum 2 pages)
- Proof of your enrolment in a higher education course or secondary school (including the name of the educational institution, details of the course, and bank information for the transfer of tuition fees)
Late applications will not be considered. Applications for scholarships will open again in 2018.
If you are one of the inaugural Watipa scholars from 2016, you do not need to complete an application form. You should have received a link via email to complete a renewal form.
Contact email@example.com if you have any questions. We expect a high amount of interest in the scholarship program and will respond to your enquiry as soon as we can.