We think that the most effective way communities to develop is to enable more people from within those communities to have access to education and support to be the leaders of the change they want to see. With scholarship funds to enable young leaders to study community development within their own context, we will be giving a helping hand to support young leaders develop their own ideas and solutions, and have the confidence to take them forward into action.
Launched on 15 September 2016, our new scholarship program will fund young people to study (course costs) and provide stipends (living expenses) for 1-3 years depending on the student’s need. We will also connect them with mentoring opportunities from their peers as well as through our professional networks. We aim to support their ambitions to contribute to the development of their own communities.
Watipa will do this in two ways, through funding:
- First hand practical learning: internships and exchanges for young professionals, to connect with other mentors and peers in a relevant field in another country.
- Scholarships, to enable students in developing countries to study community development. This could include public health, education, development, human rights, environmental studies or any aspect relevant for community development.
Our goal is to award at least 10 scholarships by December 2016 to students in countries including Malawi, Sri Lanka, and Nepal.
How will your donation be used? 100% of the funds we receive will be spent directly on the students, covering their tuition fees and living expenses and responding to their needs. The website and credit cards retain a small % of the transaction costs.
- £20 = living expenses (food, transport, rent) for one student for one month.
- £50 = books and materials for one student for one semester.
- £100 = stipend for living expesnes for one student for one semester.
- £500 = total scholarship (tuition fees + living expenses) for one student for one semester.
- £1,000 = total scholarship (tuition fees + living expenses) for one student to finish secondary school. We will name a school scholarship after you (if you wish).
- £3,000 = total scholarship (tuition fees + living expenses) for one student for one higher education course. We will name a higher education scholarship after you (if you wish).
Thank you for your support, and for helping us to fund scholarships to support young people to achieve their dreams and be a part of the change they want to see in their own communities.
See projects for further details about our clients and portfolio of work.