We think that the most effective way communities to develop is to enable more people from within those communities to have access to education and support to be the leaders of the change they want to see. With scholarship funds to enable young leaders to study community development within their own context, we will be giving a helping hand to support young leaders develop their own ideas and solutions, and have the confidence to take them forward into action.
Launched on 15 September 2016, our scholarship program funds young people to study (course costs) and in exceptional circumstances also to support living expenses.
The average Watipa scholarship awarded in 2017 was for £500 (range from £250 – £1,125) for tuition fees. Additional support for living expenses of £240 was awarded to applicants who were in secondary school students, who are living with a disability, and/or who are young mothers.
The demand far outweighs the supply of scholarships we can provide. You can help us to boost the scholarship programme and support even more deserving young people. You can support the program directly through our website.
How will your donation be used? 100% of the funds we receive will be spent directly on the students, covering their tuition fees and living expenses and responding to their needs. The website and credit cards retain a small % of the transaction costs.
- £20 = living expenses (food, transport, rent) for one student for one month.
- £50 = books and materials for one student for one semester.
- £100 = stipend for living expesnes for one student for one semester.
- £500 = total scholarship (tuition fees + living expenses) for one student for one semester.
- £1,000 = total scholarship (tuition fees + living expenses) for one student to finish secondary school. We will name a school scholarship after you (if you wish).
- £3,000 = total scholarship (tuition fees + living expenses) for one student for one higher education course. We will name a higher education scholarship after you (if you wish).
Thank you for your support, and for helping us to fund scholarships to support young people to achieve their dreams and be a part of the change they want to see in their own communities.
See projects for further details about our clients and portfolio of work.